Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread and pumpkin pie. - Jim Davis

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Salmon & Avocado Burger

Happy Weekend, all!
Yes, I realize it is Sunday and the weekend is pretty well over.  Nonetheless, I do hope you enjoyed it and the weather treated you all well, where ever you were.

I realized today that I have been eating far too much pasta lately.  Don't get me wrong I love me some pasta.  LOVE.  But when you realize you've been eating pasta more nights than not it is time to shake things up a bit.

I came across some recipes lately for salmon burgers.  Interesting.  But I couldn't quite find one that I liked.  I found I was liking bits and pieces from each recipe but didn't find one, as a whole, that I liked.  So, I picked a bit from here and a bit from there and this is what I ended up with:





The Burger:

Salmon Filets
1 egg beaten
1 green onion, finely chopped
3 tbsp flax meal
2 tbsp finely chopped dill
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 avocado, diced
Dash of your favorite chili sauce

Remove and discard skin from salmon. Chop into 1/2-in pieces, transfer to large bowl. Stir in egg, onion, flax, dill, lemon juice and salt.  Gently stir in avocado.

Heat large nonstick frying pan over medium.  Give the pan a quick spritz with cooking spray.  Pile in a heaping 1/2c measure of the mixture into the pan.  Form and press into 1-in thick patty.  Repeat process.  Do not over crowd the pan.

Cook until the bottoms are golden brown and crispy, 3-4mins.  Flip and continue cooking until cooked through, approx 3mins longer.

Top with peach salsa.  Serve on traditional burger bun, or on grainy bread.

Tips: the next time I make this I'll skip the chopping of the salmon.  The piles just didn't stay formed as patties.  They all sort of just came apart.  Next time, I'll just cut my salmon filets into individual portions and cook that way.  I'll also go a little heavier on the chili sauce.



The Wing Man....

Roasted Potato and Vegetable Salad

2-3 lbs potatoes cut into chunks
1 med onion, chopped
1 red pepper cut into strips
1 can corn
3 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
salt and pepper

The dressing:

2tbsp Apple Cider vinegar
2tbsp canola oil
2tsp dijon mustard

Combine first 5 ingredients, leaving out the corn for now
Bake at 400 for 25mins until edges start to turn brown


Remove from oven, add can of drained corn
Cook an additional 15mins





Toss with dressing.  Serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment