Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread and pumpkin pie. - Jim Davis

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Just Poachie

Poached eggs.  We have a love hate relationship.  I love them, but I've never been able to successfully prepare them.

Until this morning.

It seems it is all about the temperature of the water.  You want it super hot, but not boiling or simmering. You want it to the point just before it simmers.  And there, my friends, was where I was making my mistakes.  I had it in my head the water needed to be boiling.  Not so.

So, fill a pot with a few inches of water.  Bring it to the point just before it simmers.  You'll see lots of tiny bubbles on the bottom of your pot.  Add a small splash of vinegar.  There is some debate out there as to whether or not the vinegar actually does anything.  I used it and ended up with pretty good poached eggs.  Ultimately, do what works for you.  Apparently the vinegar helps tighten up the egg so it doesn't end up all spread out around the pot.  Seemed to work for me.

Break an egg into a small bowl.  When your water is ready gently slide the egg into the water.  This is much easier than trying to break the egg straight in to the water.

And now you wait.  But don't wander too far.  You've still got to monitor the water temperature to make sure it doesn't start to boil on you.  If it starts to get too hot turn back the temp a bit. 

Leave the little devils in the water until they're done to your liking.  When done plop them on top of toast or something else of your choosing.  A sprinkle of salt and fresh cracked pepper and you've got yourself lovely poached eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment