Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread and pumpkin pie. - Jim Davis

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Garlic Chicken with Zucchini "chips" and Asparagus

It's dinner time!

Admittedly my eating habits have been kinda, well, not good.  I've been a smidge on the busy side so unfortunately many of my meals of come via a window and wrapped in wax paper.  Hey, its better than not eating, right?  Or is it?  Ok ok, don't judge me.

As I was leaving work I realized I was craving real food.  Food that once grew in the ground and meat that was recognizable.  After a quick stop at the grocery store (why is it you can never walk in there and make it out without buying a dozen other things that weren't on your list?) I was home to make some din-din.

The menu this evening: Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken with Oven-Fried Zucchini "chips" and Cheesy Asparagus.

Oh, I know.

It was every bit as delish as it sounds!

The zucchini had a lightly crisp outside with a tender, almost creamy inside. 
The asparagus was just delightful.  I like mine still with a bit of bite left, and these were perfect.
The chicken was flavorful, tender and moist.

A pretty yummy supper if I do say so myself!

The Chicken:

4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
4 cloves of garlic, minced
4 tbl spoons brown sugar
3 teaspoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 500F

-In a small saute pan, saute garlic with oil until tender
-Remove from heat
-Stir in brown sugar
-Place chicken breasts in baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray
-Cover chicken with brown sugar mixture
-Bake 20-30mins, or until done

The Zucchini:
(I winged this recipe so I don't have exact measurements for what I used)

Flavored breadcrumbs (I used italian)
Parmesan cheese
Zucchini
Salt & Pepper

-slice zucchini into rounds
-mix bread crumbs, parmesan, salt and pepper together
-coat rounds in crumb mixture
-place on baking sheet

I threw these in the oven at the same time as the chicken, and they were done at pretty well the same time

The Asaparagus:

Asparagus
Cheese of your choosing
Salt and Pepper

-place asparagus in grill pan (fry pan will work too) with a splash of olive oil
-cook over medium until done
-sprinkle with finely grated cheese (I used Old White Cheddar)

And voila!  Dinner!

Now, if you're not a fan of sweet I would suggest going with half the amount of brown sugar on the chicken and adding a splash of soy sauce to balance out the sweet.

Or add a bit of chili sauce to give it a punch of heat!

Or leave it as is, because really it is kinda fabulous on its own.

Jus'sayin.






No comments:

Post a Comment